James Family Archives
• Researching the Past
• Education for the Present
• Preservation for the Future
Children of Sarah James (1711-
1. Anna Thomas: born December 28, 1737; first marriage circa 1760 to Nathan Brittain; second marriage to John Hubbes; died January 30, 1819 in Bucks County, Pennsylvania; known children include: John Brittain.
2. Rebecca Thomas: born November 27, 1740; married circa 1760 to Daniel Pugh (1731-
3. Leah Thomas: born March 8, 1744 in Hilltown Township, Bucks County, Pennsylvania; married circa 1760 in Bucks County, Pennsylvania to Captain Samuel Jones, son of Samuel Jones and Margaret Harris; died after 1794 (aged 48–49) in the village of Washington, Washington County, Pennsylvania; buried at Village of Washington, Washington, Pennsylvania; known children include: John Jones, Elias Jones, Erasmus Jones, Leah Jones, Samuel Jones, Isaiah Jones, William Jones, Nathan Jones, Thomas Jones, Daniel Jones, Benjamin Jones and Sarah Jones.
4. Sarah Thomas: born December 7, 1746; married John Blackwell the Elder (1738-
Sarah James was the daughter of David James (circa 1660-
John Pugh (1761-
Sarah Thomas’ (1746-
The first name and date of birth of Leah Thomas come from her grandson Jefferson Jones’ family Bible. Only her first name is listed. Her last name “Thomas” is found in the DAR records submitted by her granddaughter Ann L. Jones Butler as well as several other granddaughters who also joined the DAR through her husband Samuel's service in the Revolutionary War; and, her father John Thomas's service in the Bucks County, Pennsylvania militia.
Recorder of Deeds, Doylestown, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, Estate Settlement, Volume 3, page 235 – “Heirs of Leah Thomas Jones wife of Samuel Jones, heirs of the plantation Reverend John Thomas willed to Leah, his daughter, to be sold and the proceeds to be equally divided among her children, after her death.”
Speech by Captain Benjamin T. Jones (Professor) of Cleveland, Ohio about Leah Thomas
Jones and read at the 1902 Jones-
Rebecca Thomas Pugh (1740-
Daniel Pugh (1731-
Leah Thomas Jones (1744-
Sarah Thomas Blackwell (circa 1749-
Last Will and Testament of the Reverend John Thomas – 1788.
Congressman John Pugh (1761-
Updated: January 6, 2021