Children of William Scott James (1804-1850) of Loudoun County, Virginia and Sarah
1. Norval Wilson James: born March 16, 1833 in Coshocton, Ohio; served in U.S.
Army, Company 1, 36th Regiment of Ohio Volunteers Infantry (1862-1863); married February
24, 1865 in Millfield, Athens County, Ohio to Ruth A. Gardner (1844-1932) daughter
of Smith Townsend Gardner & Orrilla Stephenson; died January 12, 1908; buried at
Nye Cemetery, Chauncey, Ohio; known children include: Jessie James, Minnie James,
William Smith James, Norval W. James, Robert Carl James, Ruth Ann James, Eva James,
Cyrus Matson James and Maude James.
2. Catherine James: born October 29, 1834 in Coshocton, Ohio; married November
28, 1858 to George Lewis Fuller (-1901); died November 6, 1927 in Vincent, Washington
County, Ohio; buried at Nye Cemetery, Chauncey, Ohio; known children include: Austin
3. Cyrus Matson James: born July 10, 1838 in Coshocton, Ohio; married Mary Elizabeth
King (1841-1912) daughter of Job King & Elizabeth McCance; died July 23, 1910 in
Athens County, Ohio; known children include: Eugene Edgar James, Charles James and
4. Elias Harrison James: born September 29, 1840 in Coshocton, Ohio; serviced
in Civil War as 2nd Lieutenant (1862-1865); married August 24, 1864 to Emma Fuller;
died October 11, 1929 in Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio.
5. Alexander Newton James: born June 18, 1843 in Coshocton, Ohio; served in Civil
War (1862-1863); first marriage August 20, 1865 to Mary L. Chadwell (-1896); second
marriage to Mary Eliston; died July 16, 1901 in Eaton, Preble County, Ohio; known
children include Lucy James and Newt James.
6. Sarah A. James: born September 21, 1846 in Coshocton, Ohio; never married;
died February 23 1933 in Vincent, Barlow Township, Washington County, Ohio; buried
at Barlow Cemetery, Washington County, Ohio; no children.
7. Matilda E. James: born May 10, 1849 in Coshocton, Ohio; married Edmund Sweet;
died October 1, 1865 at age 16.
James James & Sarah Hanks, First Generation – Third Generation; posted by Michael
S. Caldwell at freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com.
Certificate of Death of Sarah A. James (1846-1933) issued by State of Ohio, Department
of Health, Division of Vital Statistics
Information on Cyrus Matson James (1838-1910) and Alexander Newton James (1843-1901)
from 1870 Millfield, Dover Township, Athens County, Ohio Federal Census; 1880 New
Straitsville, Perry County, Ohio Federal Census; 1900 Nelsonville, Athens County,
Ohio Federal Census; 1910 Nelsonville, and, Athens County, Ohio Federal Census –
courtesy of Elizabeth LaBozetta of Columbus, Ohio (2013).