Children of Joshua James (1778-1823) of Loudoun County, Virginia and Susannah Dew
1. Joseph James: born December 14, 1803 in Jefferson County, Ohio; died March
9, 1822 (aged 18); buried at the Short Creek Monthly Meeting burial ground in Mount
Pleasant, Jefferson County, Ohio.
2. Nathan James: born February 3, 1806 in Jefferson County, Ohio; died January
17, 1823 (aged 17) in Jefferson County, Ohio; buried at the Short Creek Monthly Meeting
burial ground in Jefferson County, Ohio; no issue.
3. Samuel E. James: born October 13, 1807 in Mt. Pleasant Township, Jefferson
County, Ohio; married June 3, 1829 in Harrison County, Ohio to Lany Hall (1796-1882);
died January 27, 1869 (aged 61) in Smith Township, Mahoning County, Ohio; buried
at Goshen Meetinghouse burial grounds in Mahoning County, Ohio; known children include
Charles B. James and Hephzibah James.
4. John D. James: born August 7, 1811 in Jefferson County, Ohio; married September
30, 1830 in Harrison County, Ohio to Rebecca Johnson.
5. Rachel W. James: born June 15, 1814 in Jefferson County, Ohio; married April
25, 1839 in Columbiana County, Ohio to Mahlon Hollingsworth (1816-1864), son of Err
Hollingsworth (1762-1819) and Phebe Mercer (-1854); migrated to Iowa; known children
include: Err Hollingsworth, Susannah Hollingsworth, Joseph M. Hollingsworth, Phebe
Jane Hollingsworth, James Hollingsworth, William L. Hollingsworth and Annie J. Hollingsworth.
6. Joshua James: born March 18, 1817 in Jefferson County, Ohio; died February
12, 1823 (aged 5); buried at the Short Creek Monthly Meeting burial ground in Jefferson
7. Oliver “Cleo” James: born April 21, 1819 in Mt. Pleasant, Jefferson County,
Ohio; first married circa 1841-1844 in Guernsey County, Ohio to Elizabeth Hibbs (1823-1852)
daughter of William Valentine Hibbs and Sarah Hollett of Guernsey County, Ohio; second
marriage May 10, 1853 in Johnson County, Iowa to Margaret Clark (1830-1881), daughter
of William Clark (bef.1786-1846) and Courtney Wood (1796-1856); died December 3,
1880 (aged 61) in Ft. Leavenworth, Brown County, Kansas; known children through Elizabeth
Hibbs: Susanna James and William James; known children through Margaret Clark include:
John Dew James, William Wilson James and Frank Emery James.
See, “Your James & Wood Ancestors – A Family History Prepared For Bradley Allyn James
and Barry Wood James,” Part 1 Individual Biographies, Prepared by Lee Allyn James
of Olympia, Washington, Preliminary Draft, August 3, 2005, page 125.