Children of Joshua James (1778-1823) of Loudoun County, Virginia and Susannah Dew (1780-1829):
1. Joseph James: born December 14, 1803 in Jefferson County, Ohio; died March 9, 1822 (aged 18); buried at the Short Creek Monthly Meeting burial ground in Mount Pleasant, Jefferson County, Ohio.
2. Nathan James: born February 3, 1806 in Jefferson County, Ohio; died January 17, 1823 (aged 17) in Jefferson County, Ohio; buried at the Short Creek Monthly Meeting burial ground in Jefferson County, Ohio; no issue.
3. Samuel E. James: born October 13, 1807 in Mt. Pleasant Township, Jefferson County, Ohio; married June 3, 1829 in Harrison County, Ohio to Lany Hall (1796-1882); died January 27, 1869 (aged 61) in Smith Township, Mahoning County, Ohio; buried at Goshen Meetinghouse burial grounds in Mahoning County, Ohio; known children include Charles B. James and Hephzibah James.
4. John D. James: born August 7, 1811 in Jefferson County, Ohio; married September 30, 1830 in Harrison County, Ohio to Rebecca Johnson.
5. Rachel W. James: born June 15, 1814 in Jefferson County, Ohio; married April 25, 1839 in Columbiana County, Ohio to Mahlon Hollingsworth (1816-1864), son of Err Hollingsworth (1762-1819) and Phebe Mercer (-1854); migrated to Iowa; known children include: Err Hollingsworth, Susannah Hollingsworth, Joseph M. Hollingsworth, Phebe Jane Hollingsworth, James Hollingsworth, William L. Hollingsworth and Annie J. Hollingsworth.
6. Joshua James: born March 18, 1817 in Jefferson County, Ohio; died February 12, 1823; buried at the Short Creek Monthly Meeting burial ground in Jefferson County, Ohio.
7. Oliver “Cleo” James: born April 21, 1819 in Mt. Pleasant, Jefferson County, Ohio; first married circa 1841-1844 in Guernsey County, Ohio to Elizabeth Hibbs (1823-1852) daughter of William Valentine Hibbs and Sarah Hollett of Guernsey County, Ohio; second marriage May 10, 1853 in Johnson County, Iowa to Margaret Clark (1830-1881), daughter of William Clark (bef.1786-1846) and Courtney Wood (1796-1856); died December 3, 1880 in Ft. Leavenworth, Brown County, Kansas; known children through Elizabeth Hibbs: Susanna James and William James; known children through Margaret Clark include: John Dew James, William Wilson James and Frank Emery James.
“Your James & Wood Ancestors – A Family History Prepared For Bradley Allyn James and Barry Wood James,” Part 1 Individual Biographies, Prepared by Lee Allyn James of Olympia, Washington, Preliminary Draft, August 3, 2005, page 125.
Nathan James (1806-1823), Id., Memorial ID No. 176056959, by Deborah Burkhart, added February 5, 2017.
Samuel E. James (1807-1869), Id., Memorial ID No. 89635798, by Kim Frye, added May 5, 2012.
Lany (Hall) James (1796-1882), Id., Memorial ID No. 89635781, by Kim Frye, added May 5, 2012.
Joshua James (1803-1822), Id., Memorial, ID No. 176056824, by Deborah Burkhart, added February 5, 2017.
Margaret (Clark) James (1830-1881), Id., Memorial ID No. 60414650, by Gary Gilman, added October 21, 2010.
Updated: September 6, 2020